

I'm just going to repost the email my mom sent out today because I don't think I can put it in better words...
We just learned recently that our dog Wickettee had cancer and only had a short time to live. The Vet gave her a prescription for pain medication. We were supposed to give it to her twice a day. By the end of last week, David was giving her medication 4 times a day. Then, yesterday it was up to six. We did not want to have her in pain and wanted her last days to be as pleasant as possible. Until this morning, she was still able to get up and give us her big doggy smile. David woke me at six this morning and told me he didn't think she was going to make it much longer. I tried to get her to drink a little water out of my hand. She could only turn her head away. We tried to give her pain medication wrapped in a tasty ball of raw hamburger meat. Again, she turned away. We decided it would be best to keep it quiet and dark. So, we left the room and put on a television show checking on her from time to time. Just before 7am, we heard a strange sort of cough come from her. David went to check on her and returned telling me she was gone. I told him not to touch her because if she were still alive she might try to move. We gave her thirty minutes and then went to check on her. She was gone. Only the shell that had held that wonderfully courageous, fun and happy spirit was left. After composing ourselves, we wrapped her up, put her in the SUV and drove up to the forest in the mountains. We found a big tree off the road and placed the shell of Wickettee's spirit under the tree deep in the forest so it could return to nature.
We will miss her but we know she is in a better place where all the wonderful pets go after giving so much love and happiness to their masters.
1 comment:
This was heartbreaking and touching. Hug your mom for me, for writing this.
I love you, Lori.
Post a Comment