Friday, June 19, 2009

The ups and downs of being


So I've officially relocated to Portland, Oregon. Well, I'm technically living in Beaverton, but same difference. Brian and I have been living in southern Oregon (Eagle Point to be exact) and I've been driving up to Portland, every other week for interviews. It just started to seem like a waste to drive all that way (It's about a 600 mile round trip)so this past Tuesday I packed up my car with most of my necessities and moved into my sister spare bedroom.

On the up side, I'm just thrilled to be spending time with my sister and her Bo and I love being in the city, seeing friends I haven't seen in ages. Unfortunately I still don't have a job and we're stuck in our lease in Eagle Point, so my husband has decided to stay in the valley to try and find someone to take over the lease on our apartment. Brian and I have done the apart thing before and I can't say I care for it. I miss him a lot already.

I had no idea finding an admissions job was going to be so difficult. I was just sure, with my experience, that the first place I interviewed with would hire me. I still haven't heard back from Healed College, so for all I know I'm still in the running with them. I got a job offer from this hole in the wall, nursing school that just opened but they only wanted to pay me strait commission. I didn't even know that was legal in the world of admissions. In fact I've been told you can only do that if the school isn't accredited (which I'm pretty sure they said they were). I opted to turn that job down. I just didn't feel right about it and I had a bad feeling I was going to end up doing a whole lot of work and not get paid for it.

Last but not least I interviewed at The Western Culinary Institute on Tuesday. I am the most excited about this school thus far. I love cooking and it's so much more artistic than the other schools. It just feels like such a good fit for me. They we're supposed to have called me yesterday and when I didn't hear anything today I called them and left a voice mail. I wish they'd at least let me know what my status was so I don't keeping sitting around, waiting for them to call.

So now I'm sitting in Portland, still trying to find a job and we're running out of money quick. Truth be told, I don't even know how we're going to pay rent next month. I've never been so broke. It's the worst feeling. Up till now I've really just been looking for Admissions work. I think starting Monday I'm just going to have to take whatever I can get.

1 comment:

Brett Begani said...

On the bright side you know you don't have to buy beer. you just have to come over and visit. :)